In the past week or so, the Summer-like weather in the New York City area has us all out and about, finally able to get our training outside full-time. Warmer weather and longer days means getting outside and riding and running longer too. With some great bike rides and runs planned in the coming weeks, I thought I’d take a few minutes for a reminder of few things to bring on those longer efforts.
The long bike:
- Nutrition and hydration. This applies to the run as well. No one likes to bonk, so be sure you plan ahead by having the right nutrition plan in place. Not sure what you need? Ask one of our nutrition staff members.
- Spare tubes, a pump or CO2 cartridge. There’s nothing like that dreaded feeling of being 20 miles from nowhere with a punctured tired. As long as you have a spare tube and a tool for getting it pumped up, it’s only a matter of a few minutes, and you’ll be back on the road again.
- Helmet. It sounds like a no-brainer, right? That’s exactly what I think when I see some dude riding without a helmet on his head: “Hey, look! There goes a no-brainer!”
The long run:
- Hat. When the sun is out, a white or light colored hat will help keep you from over heating.
- Sun glasses. Keeping the sun out of your eyes will help you relax your facial muscles and save you energy in that long haul.
- Sun screen. This applies to cycling as well. Keep your skin safe from over exposure to the suns harmful rays by applying a sports specific sun block when you’re going to be out in the sun for extended periods of time. I recommend using a sun screen with a high SPF rating, and reapplying it every couple of hours.
So, there you have it. A list of essentials to make your long efforts successful and enjoyable all summer long. If you have questions or comments, send them my way!